Monday, September 24, 2007

Prison Bird

My palace is my prison

Where I no longer dream of freedom

"Prison Bird" is a poem I wrote remembering a person who has no freedom...whose days are divided into going to school and returning back. Nothing more. The shifts in the stanzas refer to his physical growth, increasing determination, and finally the will to get out rather than dreaming.I am a bird

And this is my cage from where I cannot flee



I see the world from the bars

“Come” calls the world

Then my soul weeps

Seeing the bars in between



I breathe the same stale air

But I wish for fresh – which I can’t

So I dream at night – my flights to the woods

Flying…breathing…



I am inside cage

But my soul drifts away

Away from the bars to nomad lands

Break-free



So with all my might, I sit upright

Each passing minute, my hope strengthens

With each passing day, my wish becomes my impulse

So I say calm…waiting…waiting…



One day I will exit from here

If not alive then with a flower on my chest

But I will come out

I WILL COME OUT



Then will my soul smile gleefully

And my spirit be redeemed

I’ll then cry and say

“I’m free.”

No comments: