Saturday, March 21, 2009

Bridge

Over the bridge, I stare to my view,
To the right I smile, he left I weep,
For on the right I see, wealth and prosperity,
To my left I see, slums and poverty,
And in between them, I stand and think,

Did god create the rich or the poor?
Or someone like me, with some mind to think?
Who used his mind, reached my right,
Who stayed lazy, I see on my left.

I blame not fate, nor blame my God,
…neither seek vengeance for rich being rich,
I query the minds, startled and quote,
For humans do create, the best of terms. 1

Thence I say, I smile and weep,
To right I lead, if I use my mind,
Yet if I fail, stay lazy and dull,
I pave my way, but to the left.

1: Milton in his essay said, men always create best ideas. The line is a modified version of this very words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

like a bridge over troubled water? hehe